Monday, September 12, 2011

Am I stupid?

You know those iconic sportscasters that you hear and you have to stop and listen? The Joe Bucks, the Vin Scully's of the world? I have unfortunately found the farthest thing from them, and I keep finding him whenever I turn on football games. Can someone explain to me how Matt Millen can possibly keep getting jobs that involve his “knowledge” of the sport?

How does ESPN expect me to take him seriously? Do they think I've forgot the near brawl with Steve Young over comments about the Vikings locker room in relation to Brett Favre? In case Millen isn't aware, the job of sportscaster is primarily SPECULATING about the happenings in the NFL. To Steve Young's credit, I'd say it was a fair and accurate statement that Leslie Frasier had lost that team, in no small part due to Favre's desire to ruin the Vikings season by playing every week.

Maybe I'm supposed to forget that Millen drafted, in consecutive years, Charles Rodgers, Roy Williams and Mike Williams (lets not forget Mike had declared after his sophomore year at USC and was deemed ineligible to play, so he sat for an entire year before he was drafted). Tell me someone didn't come to him before choosing Mike Williams and say, “Hey Matt, I know you like the tall receiver from USC but we don't have a line, your choice of Joey Harrington a few years ago is a bust, and we haven't actually fielded an NFL defense in about 6 years. Maybe take Demarcus Ware or Shawne Merriman? They have serious NFL potential..” I'm sure Millen would have choked them out if they'd suggested it. (As a side note that guy in Green Bay, Aaron Rodgers, went a full 14 picks later. Man was he a bust..)

All I'm trying to say is that when I turn on a college game the last thing I need to hear is Matt Millen explaining the finer points of football to me. He was THE WORST GM in NFL history. He lost his Monday Night Football job with ESPN because he was ready to go with a Hall of Fame quarterback for GIVING HIS OPINION on a team that was predicted to make a Superbowl run yet finished 6-10. I would have thought Millen would know EXACTLY what a dysfunctional locker room looked like. I guess I don't know anything since I never played in the NFL.

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't agree more...ESPN shoving Millen in our faces as an "expert" is an insult to our intelligence as fans.

    Similar to Millen having a broadcasting job, I find it hilarious that Vinny Cerrato, Dan Snyder's stooge for about a decade, is an ESPN radio personality. I still think Millen's worse though because he's so much more arrogant. Plus with Vinny, it's arguable that Snyder was calling all the shots and he was just a figurehead.

    ReplyDelete